FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ISNA Announces "Greening Our Ramadan" Campaign
Allah (swt) tells us: “He is the one who made you khalifahs (vicegerents, stewards, guardians) of the earth” (6:165).
(Plainfield, IN 5/12/15) The Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and its Green Masjid Task Force announced today a campaign to encourage masajid/Islamic centers to make their Ramadan more environmentally friendly by adopting five practices for this Ramadan:
1. Conserve food at iftars and avoid being wasteful by giving excess food to people in need
2. Use biodegradable products for iftars and not Styrofoam cups and plates
3. Recycle material, especially plastic water bottles
4. Replace all light bulbs with energy saver bulbs and thus conserve electricity
Give a khutbah on the Islamic imperative to conserve and protect our environment
For masjids/Islamic centers that pledge to adopt these five practices, ISNA will:
1. Send you a tree sapling which you can plant on the masjid property
2. Recognize your masjid/Islamic center in the Islamic Horizons magazine, ISNA Convention and ISNA E-Newsletter as a masjid in this effort to make our masajid “green”
3. Send you a certificate of your participation in the “Greening Our Ramadan” Campaign
In a letter to masjid leaders, ISNA’s President Azhar Azeez says, “Being sensitive to the harm that we do to our environment and committed to living in harmony with nature, we, as Muslims, must seek to implement practices and policies that are environmentally friendly. So this Ramadan, let’s live up to our role as khalifah in the earth by Greening Our Ramadan.”
Masjids/Islamic centers are urged to communicate to ISNA their pledge to join the Greening Our Ramadan campaign.