The 15th Annual ISNA-CISNA Education Forum Essay Contest
4th- 12th Grade Full Time & Weekend Islamic School Students Invited to Participate!
Islamic Schools emphasize the core values, ideals, and principles by which we live. This Essay Contest provides a platform for insightful classroom discussion and students’ personal reflections on their experiences at a Full-time or Weekend Islamic School. This essay contest offers students an opportunity for conscious reflection and writing about the following topic:
How does my Islamic school prepare me to be a lifelong learner?
Full-Time & Weekend Islamic Schools in the following states:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
Three categories: A school may only submit one entry per category!
a. Grade 4 & 5
b. Grades 6-8
c. Grades 9-12
One winner in each category will receive a $75 Barnes & Noble gift card!
Each student entry submitted by a school (one entry per category) will receive a “Certificate of Participation”. ISNA reserves the right to cancel any portion of the competition due to lack of qualified entries.
- Original Title
- 1 page essay on the topic (300 – 400 words)
- Typed double spaced
- Size 12 Times New Roman font
- One inch margins
- Content – Thesis and Support
- Organization – Arrangement of ideas and transitions
- Style – Tone and diction
- Mechanics – Usage, spelling, and punctuation
- Announce the contest opportunity
- Discuss/brainstorm with students about the topics
- Work with students on the structure of their essays: introduction, supporting paragraphs, conclusion, voice of the essay, and purpose of writing their particular essay.
- Encourage students to use their personal experiences (either positive or negative) to generate ideas.
- Read all of the essays submitted by the students in the class(es).
- Select and submit the best essay from the class with an official contest entry form to the school organizer.
School Organizer’s Role:
- Select one student essay for submission from each category
- Submit essay(s) with online entry form below by Tuesday, March 10, 2014
Student winners and their teachers will be notified by email. The First Place Awards will be presented at the Education Forum. The winning teacher and the school principal may decide the best venue for presenting the participation certificate to the students, usually at the school’s awards ceremony. Late entries will not be accepted.
Questions may be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org