Celebrating Outstanding College Freshman: ISNA Announces Dr. Shakir’s 2012 Scholarship Recipients
Recipient Names, left to right, reading like a book
1. Abdelrahman Mohamed (Fordham University at Lincoln Center)
2. Adil Tyeb (Franklin and Marshall College
3. Asiya Sbayi (University of Maine)
4. Ilir Emini (Knox College)
5. Kassem Kuraan (Youngstown State University)
6. Khadijah Bagais (Ohio Northern University)
7. Komal Nathani (University of Houston)
8. Layla Siraj (Harvard University)
9. Mariam Jalloul (Harvard University-Harvard College)
10. Mishaal Khan(University of Michigan- Ann Arbor)
11. Moleca Ghannam (University of Michigan-Dearborn)
12. Muhammad Waqas(University of the Pacific)
13. Ramis Wadood (Columbia University)
14. Saiema Alam (Binghamton University)
15. Samaah Abboud (Wayne State University)
16. Samia Nasir (University of Texas at Dallas)
17. Shakoora Sabree (Agnes Scott College)
18. Spogmay Ahmed (The George Washington University)
19. Tarik Turfe (Attending Wayne State University)
20. Uzair Khan (University of Michigan- Ann Arbor)
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants were required to have a minimum 3.0 GPA and be entering their freshman year of college.
Each scholarship was awarded in the amount of $1,000 per student.
Scholarship recipients were chosen based on a number of different merits and academic achievements which included GPA, community service involvement, essay responses, and letters of recommendation.
“It is with great pride that we award these scholarships to this fine group of students as a stepping stone in their giant academic leap into a better future for them and for the Muslim community, emphasizing Islam’s focus on education, seen through the first word of the revelation of the Qur’an, Iqra meaning read,” said ISNA’s Development Foundation.
If you would like to support one of the many students ISNA was unable to provide an award to this year, please contact the ISNA Scholarship Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 204-0930.